Prestonpans Town Hall was built in 1896 to designs by the local architect Peter Whitecross. The stone was sourced quarried in Edinburgh and Dumfriesshire, and local craftsmen carried out the work. The hall was officially opened in August 1897 by Richard Haldane, who was then the MP for Haddingstonshire (now East Lothian) for 26 years. Since it opened, the hall has been used for public meetings and social functions, and even as sleeping quarters for weary “soldiers” after re-enactments of the Battle of Prestonpans! In 2021, the Battle of Prestonpans (1745) Heritage Trust secured a five year lease to operate the hall as a museum and heritage hub.

The Town Hall museum will be open for a series of events and open days whilst refurbishment and fundraising get underway, with a view to opening the main exhibition at the start of 2022.

We are also keen to recruit a team of enthusiastic volunteers who would like to help operate the museum. If you think this might be of interest, please get in touch: ajohnston@battleofprestonpans1745.org

Photo – Chris Watt